On World Suicide Prevention Day: Advice from 8 Celebrities Battling Mental Illness
It's hard to imagine celebrities going through the same everyday problems we do, but the truth is that hundreds of millions of Americans struggle with mental illness, and that doesn't exclude the rich and famous.
Unfortunately, statistics show that approximately half of those people, famous or not, do not seek treatment. This is likely in large part because of the stigma surrounding psychiatric treatment. In reality, mental illness is no different than a physical ailment, in that it's never the patients' fault and it requires care and treatment from a professional. One of the best ways to help combat that stigma is to speak about mental health openly, something more and more people—including actors, musicians, and other public personalities—are doing on social media and otherwise. On this World Suicide Prevention day, check out this list of inspiring celebrities who have opened up about their battles with mental illness.
BONUS: Bill Hader - It Doesn't Go Away, but You Can Manage It
The acclaimed actor has enjoyed a successful career performing in front of live audiences and millions of viewers, but he's always struggled with anxiety. Hader recently posted a video inspired by the #MyYoungerSelf challenge, sharing the advice he'd give his past self when it comes to dealing with anxiety: "What helped me was learning that [the anxiety] doesn't really go away. You manage it. And instead of pushing away your anxiety — and I always imagined my anxiety as this little monster that would kind of attack my face or pull my ears — instead of pushing that thing away and trying to fight it, I would just go, 'Hey, oh hey buddy.' You know, like it was a little monkey."
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts or behaviors, call the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
- Bell Let's Talk and the Corporatization of Mental Health - Popdust ›
- "Joker" Shows What's Wrong With American Mental Healthcare - Popdust ›
- Celebrities with Mental Illness: Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Mariah ... ›
- 48 Celebrities Who Revealed Their Mental Illnesses To Help Others ... ›
- Famous Bipolar People: 18 Celebrities With Bipolar Disorder ›
- 10 Celebrities Who Struggle With Mental Health | University of Utah ... ›
- Celebrities Who Have Battled Mental Health Issues ›
- Stars Who Have Mental Illnesses; Mental Health Issues | PEOPLE.com ›
- Celebrities who spoke out about their mental health struggles ... ›
- 39 Celebrities Who Have Opened Up About Mental Health ... ›