The key: Just do what you want
Filip Nikolic and Jeffrey Paradise of Poolside try not to take themselves too seriously (the band's name comes from a small backyard pool house in Los Angeles). The duo converted it into a recording studio in 2011.
"We just made the tracks we were in the mood to hear for ourselves," Paradise told me. Nikolic had previously played bass in Junior Senior and Ima Robot, while Paradise DJ'ed in San Francisco after leaving a band that would eventually become The Rapture. After coming together, they coined the term "Daytime Disco" to describe their sound.
Sunny and effervescent, yet cool and minimalist, the duo's funky guitar riffs, thick synthesizers, and congruent production made for a sound that was both hypotonic and nostalgic. Poolside represents how everyone wants to feel in the summer: confident and relaxed, joyful yet introspective. "It's just become the lens that we get to interpret all of our favorite sounds through," Paradise said of the self-proclaimed genre.
The duo's first project Pacific Standard Time was full of swagger and emotional musing. "These thoughts they keep on dancing, dancing in my head," Nikolic sings on "Just Fall In Love." "They're right here on the surface, but still remain unsaid." After the project's release, the band toured for two years straight, slowly building up their fanbase. As more people started to listen, Poolside began to pull away. "We began this project for fun and once it took on a lot of significance to us and our fans, it was honestly pretty tricky to write music that was relaxed and carefree," Paradise said. The duo took a year off to see if this was something they truly wanted to continue. "After that year, we felt almost like we were a new band and that we didn't have to chase that momentum." Poolside released Heat in 2017, a project that seemingly encapsulated what they always wanted their sound to be. The production was tighter, but still conveyed the feeling that comes with lounging by the water all day. "We had to consider the people who supported [us] and [our] art," Paradise said. "And keep in mind that we have to deliver them something authentic and real from the heart."
Poolside is all about the particulars, but at times their undeviating identity has been prone to criticism. "There is ostensibly nothing wrong with writing lifestyle music, wrote Pitchfork of PST, "even if the lifestyle is so narrow that you actually call yourself Poolside." But the specificity of the band is what makes them so reliable. "Some clichés are true!" Paradise said. In "Can't Get You Off My Mind," the slow, brooding track only has one lyric: "I can't get you off my mind." While ocean waves lap in the background, the duo sings this phrase in a harmony that, while quite literal, is still cathartic. At the moment when summer ends, we yearn to relive those experiences; but when all that remains are foggy memories, is there really anything else left to say?
Mackenzie Cummings-Grady is a creative writer who resides in the Brooklyn area, Mackenzie's work has previously appeared in The Boston Globe, Billboard, and Metropolis Magazine. Follow him on Twitter @mjcummingsgrady.
- POOLSIDE ›
- Rhye - Feel Your Weight (Poolside Remix) Official Visual - YouTube ›
- POOLSIDE ONLINE SHOP — POOLSIDE ›
- Poolside | Definition of Poolside by Merriam-Webster ›
- All Poolside | Pool & Spa Service | Minnesota & Wisconsin ›
- Poolside (@poolside) | Twitter ›
- Poolside - Home | Facebook ›
- Poolside | Free Listening on SoundCloud ›
- Poolside Music ›
If you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most.
Ask any Animal Crossing: New Horizons player which villager is their favorite and they'll probably tell you about a cute, cuddly animal who says sweet things and sends nice gifts (or possibly Roald, the chubby penguin who loves working out).
Roald is the best villager, no question.Nintendo
But if you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most. As it turns out, in a game filled to the brim with relaxation and joy, there's still a surprising amount of room for hatred, and all of it is directed at the absolute bottom-tier villagers who move into your perfect town with their ugly appearances and garbage personalities to turn your animal utopia into a rancid dump.
- "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" Has All the QoL Improvements ... ›
- Did Nintendo Create COVID-19 to Make "Animal Crossing: New ... ›
- People Are Going on Dates in the "Animal Crossing: New Horizons ... ›
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Is a Blueprint for Functional ... ›
- Raymond the Smug Cat and the Dark Underbelly of Animal Crossing - Popdust ›
- AOC Is Playing Animal Crossing & Responded to a Trump Troll - Popdust ›
- Nintendo Switch Games to Play in Quarantine While You Wait for the Next Day in "Animal Crossing" - Popdust ›
- The 7 Fastest Ways to Earn Bells on "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" - Popdust ›
- Leif and Redd Bring High Culture to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Popdust ›
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best Animal Crossing game ... ›
- Top 10 Best Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked ›
- Top 10 Best Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked ›
- List of Villagers Based on Popularity ›
- Create a Animal Crossing Villagers Tier List - TierMaker ›
- The 10 Cutest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | Game Rant ›
- Animal Crossing: The 15 Grumpiest Villagers, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- The 10 Weirdest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- Animal Crossing: The Best Villagers Ever, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- Animal Crossing Villager Species TIER LIST! - YouTube ›
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›