The Toronto polymath finally exhale
Tory Lanez knows his worth, but as braggadocious as he appears, he's somehow maintained a sense of humility and grace, all while skyrocketing into Hip-Hop's upper echelon this past year.
When he claimed to be the best rapper alive in 2019, he quickly came around and apologized. "Even if I feel that way about myself, it's a dumba** statement," he wrote on Twitter. "And even though I'm always ready to stand behind my talent, it made me look like a d*ckhead." His sense of transparency was a refreshing perspective in Hip-Hop, and even though he retracted his original statement, it was still kind of true. He has always been able to go toe-to-toe with any foe and has always felt this immense need to prove himself.
2019's Chixtape 4 was a well-executed ode to the sounds of the early aughts and had Lanez both sparring with–and paying homage to–all of his R&B idols, from T-Pain and Chris Brown to Aaliyah and Mario. It takes a special air of confidence to remix an artist's signature track in your image, let alone in front of the actual icons who created it. But Lanez has remained a special kind of beast in that respect, unafraid to go the distance and step into the ring with the best of the best. On The New Toronto 3, the polymath's final major-label release, Lanez seems to finally let himself exhale. No longer is he fighting to establish himself and showcase his abilities.
Tory Lanez - Do The Most (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com
"They ran my name through the mud, but I'm finally respected," he raps on "Letter to the City 2." Tory Lanez uses TNT 3 to reflect and flex simultaneously throughout. He smirks at how expensive his Givenchy and Saint Laurent clothing is ("Pricey and Spicy"), he tells his ex-girlfriends to kiss his jewelry ("Who Needs Love"), and buys a new "pair of tits" for his new girlfriend who "ain't have" them ("Dope Boy's Diary"). He talks about how he hasn't been broke in a while ("Broke In a Minute"), and then vividly describes how he used to fear for his life selling drugs on the corner, all while kids laughed at him for having stains on his clothes ("P.A.I.N.").
While stylistically certain moments can run a little dry, The New Toronto 3 is impeccably balanced and is a full circle record that seamlessly ties together all of Lanez experiences . "I be goin so hard that I'm exhausted," he admits to his lover on "Penthouse Red," "I be going through these phases." As a newly independent artist, the freedom that Lanez feels is palpable; and, as he's shown in the past, what matters most is his own self-worth. "I grew to love myself and who hovers above me," he says of his foes on "MSG 4 GOD'S CHILDREN." Lanez is done fighting. It's time to ease up on the gas and take a well-deserved rest.
Check Out The New Toronto 3 below:
The New Toronto 3
- Tory Lanez's "Broke In a Minute" Finds The Artist in a Creative Limbo ... ›
- Drake's "Dark Lane Demo Tapes" Is Plain and Undistinguished - Popdust ›
- 8 Best Covers From Musicians in Quarantine - Popdust ›
- Tory Lanez: The New Toronto / Chixtape 3 Album Review | Pitchfork ›
- Tory Lanez Talks Interscope Deal, Says 'New Toronto 3' Will Arrive ... ›
- Tory Lanez Delivers Anticipated "The New Toronto 3" Project ›
- Tory Lanez: New Toronto 3 review — tedious autotuned bluster ... ›
- Tory Lanez – 'The New Toronto 3' review ›
We're glad they're on our side.
The world is up against a seemingly insurmountable threat, but luckily, we've got a crack team of heroes on the case.
Sure, there's already the girl with super strength, the guy who can fly, and the anthropomorphic, trash-talking animal tailor-made for merchandise. But this is a threat of intergalactic proportions, and we're going to need all the help we can get if we want to survive.
- BTS Makes Being a Korean-American Adoptee (a Little) Easier ... ›
- The New BTS Single, 'Black Swan,' Is a Genuine Masterpiece ... ›
- The K-pop fans have sabotaged racist Twitter hashtags ›
- K-Pop Stans Are Spamming Racist Twitter Hashtags With Fancams ›
- K-Pop Stans Crash Dallas Police Department's iWatch App with ... ›
- Reply sections on Twitter are filled with K-pop videos. Here's why. ›
- K-pop stans spammed the iWatch Dallas police app with fancams ... ›
- K-Pop Stans Crashed Dallas Police App With Fan Cams ›
- K-Pop Fans Take Over #whitelivesmatter Hashtag, Drown Out Racist ... ›
- K-Pop Stans Continue to Take Over Racist Twitter Hashtags ›
- K-pop stans overwhelm app after police ask for images and videos ... ›
- K-pop stans are flooding right-wing and pro-police hashtags online ... ›
The Riverdale star announced her plans to march in an LGBTQ+ for Black Lives Matter protest.
In the midst of the world bursting into flames, you might've missed the news that Cole Sprouse has split from his Riverdale co-star, Lili Reinhart, after three years of dating.
Rumors of the pair's breakup have surfaced time and time again, so we're not sure what's making this time any more significant. But, nevertheless, rest assured that the possible exes are keeping busy: Sprouse, for one, was arrested while protesting in support of Black Lives Matter in Santa Monica over the weekend. Reinhart took to her Instagram story to announce that she was planning on participating in an LGBTQ+ For Black Lives Matter protest in West Hollywood. She also very casually mentioned the fact that she's bisexual.
Reinhart:<iframe width="100%" height="150" scrolling="no" class="rm-shortcode twitter-embed-1268228254776819713" id="twitter-embed-1268228254776819713" lazy-loadable="true" src="/res/community/twitter_embed/?iframe_id=twitter-embed-1268228254776819713&created_ts=1591204153.0&screen_name=bwgheads&text=lili+reinhart+coming+out+as+bi+is+one+of+the+only+things+about+this+year+that+has+made+me+happy+https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FHZZUUvI7xT&id=1268228254776819713&name=%D9%8B" frameborder="0" data-rm-shortcode-id="6b99ec90aeb9e5f69fa68d91a1c181f0"></iframe>
- Lili Reinhart Just Came Out As Bisexual ›
- Lili Reinhart Comes Out Publicly as Bisexual Ahead of BLM Protest ›
- Riverdale's Lili Reinhart comes out as a 'proud bisexual' in a post ... ›
- 'Riverdale's Lili Reinhart Comes Out as Bisexual ›
- Lili Reinhart Comes Out as Bisexual in Support of Black Lives Matter ... ›
- Lili Reinhart Comes Out as a 'Proud Bisexual Woman' ›