Along with 300+ others, the stars weigh in on the Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court controversy
The nation is divided, emotions are high, and people from all walks of life are debating and deciding what they make of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
Ever since multiple sexual assault allegations against Kavanaugh emerged and were brought before the Senate Judiciary Committee as well as millions who have been paying attention to the process, more and more fuel has been added to the fire, and people are fuming.
Two of these people taking a public stance are Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski. They were among a group of protesters who came together at the Hart Senate Building atrium yesterday. The front of the Capitol was barricaded yesterday, leading demonstrators to move their masses to the atrium. As per CNN, "The Women's March, a liberal organization that originated as a grassroots movement in opposition of President Donald Trump, was one of multiple groups tweeting from the protest at the Capitol building."
Schumer and Ratajkowski appeared together in the film I Feel Pretty, but yesterday, they were feeling empowered. Protesting against Kavanaugh, both were arrested, Ratajkowski even tweeting about the incident and her firm position on the matter, "Today I was arrested protesting the Supreme Court nomination of Brett Kavanaugh, a man who has been accused by multiple women of sexual assault. Men who hurt women can no longer be placed in positions of power."
Here is @amyschumer telling cops she *wants* to be arrested.
Cop asks “Do you want to be arrested?"
Save this for the “I can't believe I was arrested for free speech!" Tweet from her soon. pic.twitter.com/TLGaDAyh1T
— Benny (@bennyjohnson) October 4, 2018
Newsweek, "Hundreds of demonstrators were detained after they stormed the Hart Senate Office Building, which is across the road from the Capitol Building, where they staged a sit-in to protest the potential confirmation of the judge to the highest bench in the U.S. ahead of a crucial Senate vote today." They were all processed and released.
Prior to her arrest, Schumer got the crowd going by declaring, "We're going to keep showing up and no matter how this goes they cannot keep us down. We will win. A vote for Kavanaugh is a vote saying women don't matter. Let's say it together: let's fight! Let's keep showing up!"
Today the Senate will begin the voting process. Will these demonstrations sway those who heard the plight of the protesters? No matter which side people are on, opinions are strong and many are standing their ground. And Schumer and Ratajkowski don't seem like they'll let an arrest halt their efforts to rally, and they refuse to let their voices go unheard.
Melissa A. Kay is a New York-based writer, editor, and content strategist. Follow her work on Popdust as well as sites including TopDust, Chase Bank, P&G, Understood.org, The Richest, GearBrain, The Journiest, Bella, TrueSelf, Better Homes & Gardens, AMC Daycare, and more.
POP⚡DUST | Read More…
- Amy Schumer, Emily Ratajkowski Among Hundreds Arrested ... ›
- Reports: Amy Schumer arrested at Brett Kavanaugh protest | Newsday ›
- Amy Schumer, Emily Ratajkowski Arrested at Kavanaugh Protest on ... ›
- Amy Schumer among those arrested at Kavanaugh protest | TheHill ›
- Amy Schumer Arrested with Anti-Kavanaugh Protesters in D.C. ... ›
- Amy Schumer Arrested at Brett Kavanaugh Protest – Rolling Stone ›
- Amy Schumer, Emily Ratajkowski arrested while protesting ... ›
- Amy Schumer arrested at Kavanaugh protest – video | Global | The ... ›
- Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski arrested in Kavanaugh protests ›
You'll never guess #1 (*wink wink*)
The 4th of July means you'll probably get plenty of time to watch movies about aliens.
Why aliens? Because it's Independence Day, silly: the day our forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776, freeing the thirteen American colonies from British rule. As a nation of immigrants, one could argue that we're all aliens on this special day. So without further ado, here are the top five Alien movies to watch on Independence Day (*wink wink*).
- Why Bad Movies Are Better Than Good Ones - Popdust ›
- What Happened to Disaster Movies? Oh, We're Living in One ... ›
- The latest installment of the Alien franchise disappoints. - Popdust ›
- World UFO Day: The 10 best alien films, from ET: The Extra ... ›
- Scariest alien movies. - IMDb ›
- The Top 30 alien invasion movies, ranked | SYFY WIRE ›
- 10 great films about aliens visiting Earth | BFI ›
- Alien Movies Ranked From Worst To Best | IndieWire ›
- Best ALIEN INVASION Movie Trailers - YouTube ›
- The 11 Best Alien Movies on Netflix to Watch Tonight [July 2019] ›
- Alien Movies Ranked from Worst to Best | Collider ›
- Best Alien Movies | List of Top Films About Aliens ›
- The greatest alien encounter movies, ranked ›
New Zealand's greatest writer-director-actor has some big new projects coming up, but it's worth looking back at his previous work
A lot of filmmakers keep themselves apart from their work.
You can watch all of their films, learn to recognize their style and vision, and still be left with the mystery of who their creator is. That's not the case with New Zealand filmmaker Taika Waititi.