It's just a thong.
Lizzo in a thong is just too much for some people to take.
The "Juice" singer attended the Lakers vs. Timberwolves game on Sunday, but the Lakers' win was not what drew the most attention. Rather, the 31-year-old's outfit seemed to invite the Internet to have an opinion on the propriety of forward fashion, what's "family friendly" at a sporting event, and whether body positivity can go too far.
Lizzo's black T-shirt dress with cut-outs on the back exposed her thong and fishnet stockings, which she skillfully showed off by twerking along with the Laker Girls' performance to her song "Juice." Her choice of apparel has since been called an "incident" that's spurred "outrage" and "controversy," as well as praise that Lizzo continues to embody the "brazen confidence and joie de vivre we should all take into 2020."
#Lizzo At the #Lakers Game Twerking !! 🔥🔥 #WORLDLATINSTAR.com https://t.co/a4qbsrGmfW— World Latin Honey (@World Latin Honey)1575922945.0
"This is how a bad bitch goes to the Lakers game vs Minnesota," Lizzo said as she walked through the stadium. "You bitches can't even spell Minnesota!" Plenty of fat-phobia and fat-shaming colored comments on social media, from criticisms of Lizzo "showing her bare ass" at a "family-friendly" event to comparisons to the professional wrestler Solofa Fatu Jr. known as Rikishi (who even trended on Twitter, along with the Grammy-nominated singer).
If anything, Jezebel noted the real problem with the outfit: "Here's the truth: the dress is a cool, good, fun look. She should be able to trot around with her butt out at a family-friendly event; Americans could stand to be less prudish. However, I cannot stop thinking about her exposed ass and... other sensitive areas... sitting on a stadium seat... I can only hope someone reminded her to protect her vagine?"
So Lizzo showed up to the Lakers game dressed like rakishi ?? For what reason https://t.co/3wEpyuaezj— NO (@NO)1575870385.0
But seriously, the sheer amount of scrutiny being applied to Lizzo's outfit is indicative of the minute criticism that women of color, especially plus size women of color, face in the public eye. The impulse to derive moral or personality flaws from a woman's fashion choices comes from misogyny's history of biased beauty standards, which still mar our perceptions and media today. So however "loud" Lizzo has been about her body positivity activism, it can't be "too loud" or "too far" when there are still such discrepancies in how we treat women of different races and different sizes. As Lizzo told People, "If you saw Anne Hathaway in a bikini on a billboard, you wouldn't call her brave."
Truly, the same daring fashion statement would have been mostly praised if it were worn by a Kardashian–or perhaps any white woman with a slim figure. Remember Khloe Kardashian in an entirely mesh outfit? Remember when Taylor Momsen (Gossip Girl) forewent pants to wear long T-shirts and fishnets on a regular basis (much like Lizzo)? Whether going out to dinner, attending a party, or a watching a public sporting event, what deep moral consequences are there to women wearing revealing clothing? If the argument is that she's sexualizing her body by revealing it, then how is that different from centuries of patriarchal shame and censorship that condemned the image of women's bodies (including, at one time, ankles and wrists) that didn't already do that?
If Lizzo is only “getting away” with showing her ass because she’s big (which isn’t true and is easily debunked but… https://t.co/fbV1A0CKLc— jamilah (read bio before DMing) (@jamilah (read bio before DMing))1575903115.0
- Lizzo - Truth Hurts (Official Video) - YouTube ›
- Feelin Good As Hell (@lizzo) | Twitter ›
- Lizzo (@lizzobeeating) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Watch Lizzo Play The Tiny Desk : NPR ›
- Lizzo and the politically incorrect obesity epidemic | Spectator USA ›
- Rapper/Singer 'Lizzo' Twerks & Exposes Booty In Thong On ... ›
- Lizzo's Red Thong Underwear Pics: Shows Off Sexy Photos After ... ›
- Lakers fans slam 'embarrassing' Lizzo as singer twerks in thong on ... ›
- Lizzo Shows Off Her Thong And Dances Up A Storm At Lakers Game ›
- Watch Lizzo Twerk in a Thong on the Jumbotron at the LA Lakers ... ›
If you cling to outdated ideas, you are choosing to be left behind.
A relative recently reached out to express concern that I was sharing ageist sentiments on the Internet.
She didn't have to specify which content had bothered her. I knew she was talking about my attacks on "boomers."
- Fox Media's "Okay Boomer" Trademark is Peak Boomer Energy ... ›
- A Guide For Talking to Boomers - Popdust ›
- OK, boomer. The kids are fighting back. - The Washington Post ›
- 'OK boomer' is dividing generations. What does it mean? ›
- OK, Boomer: This Is How To Respond To Gen Z's New Meme ›
- 'OK, Boomer' Vs. 'OK, Millennial': Workplace Nightmare, Or Just A ... ›
- "OK, boomer": 25-year-old lawmaker shuts down heckler during ... ›
- What does “OK boomer” mean? The meme, explained - Vox ›
- 'OK Boomer' Marks the End of Friendly Generational Relations - The ... ›
Please stop me.
Post Malone is the poet laureate of all beer-drunken hearts, and his astute observations on life, love, and intoxication deserve to be taken far too seriously.
As a freshly graduated English major who just moved to Brooklyn, I feel that it's my personal responsibility to share my philosophical musings with the world. Sadly, very few people read books anymore, so I've decided to apply my degree to something I love but that also may meet the masses on their terms: the exquisitely poetic lyrics of the one and only Post Malone.
- Post Malone Talks New Album, Courtney Love, and COVID-19 on Nirvana Livestream - Popdust ›
- Listen to Post Malone Cover Nirvana Songs Live This Friday - Popdust ›
- Post Malone Lyrics ›
- 20 Post Malone Song Lyrics & Music Videos From Today's Newly ... ›
- Post Malone lyrics, songs and albums | LyricsFreak ›
- Post Malone's 'Wow.' Lyrics | Billboard ›
- The five most peak Post Malone lyrics on 'Hollywood's Bleeding' ›
- Post Malone - Die For Me (Lyrics) ft. Future, Halsey - YouTube ›
- Post Malone Song Lyrics | MetroLyrics ›
- Post Malone - circles (Lyrics) - YouTube ›
- Post Malone Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius ›
- Post Malone Lyrics ›