In the video, you'll find plenty of twerking, glittering lingerie, and neon lights—and the opposite of shame.
Lizzo has graced everyone's Friday morning with her new video for "Tempo (feat. Missy Elliot)."
In typical Lizzo fashion, our patron saint of self-confidence continues to do revolutionary work by destroying fatphobic stereotypes and proclaiming her undying love for her figure and the music that best shows it off when she dances.
"Some songs ain't for skinny hoes," she says, rocking a red cowboy hat and bedazzled lingerie. On a lesser star, it might look performative, like trying too hard to be some kind of body positive icon, but Lizzo's performances always transcend shallow constructs like body positivity or purely appearance-focused joy. Instead, Lizzo focuses her attention on what her body can do—and clearly, her body was made to move.
Missy Elliot's feature takes the song to a new level, placing Elliot's bars over dramatic synths. When they come together with other dancers and start literally defying gravity, somehow it doesn't seem faked. In a way, they've all been floating the whole time.
Lizzo - Tempo (feat. Missy Elliott) [Official Music Video] www.youtube.com
This video's release comes a day after Lizzo told Cosmopolitan that depression nearly prevented her from releasing music,. "The day I released 'Truth Hurts' was probably one of the darkest days I've had ever in my career," she said. "I remember thinking, 'If I quit music now, nobody would notice. This is my best song ever, and nobody cares. I was like, 'F— it, I'm done.'
That dark time was only the beginning of a stratospheric rise to success. "Now the song that made me want to quit is the song that everyone's falling in love with me for, which is such a testament to journeys: Your darkest day turns into your brightest triumph," she said.
Later in the interview, she said that she'd be happy to star on The Bachelorette, under one condition. "The men would have to be naked and they would have to wear little thong briefs and they would have to feed me grapes," she said. Also, "It would be mandatory to get my p---y eaten at least once on the whole season, and it would have to be filmed."
Today, between her radically honest interviews and radiant, twerk-heavy videos, Lizzo is one of pop's brightest and most tradition-bucking stars. Next up, she'll be starring in the stripper-revenge drama Hustlers, alongside Cardi B and Jennifer Lopez, in theaters 9/13.
HUSTLERS TRAILER PREMIERE! www.youtube.com
- Lizzo's Joy Is Infectious on 'Cuz I Love You' - Popdust ›
- 7 New Songs You Should Hear This Week: Music for New Beginnings ›
- Lizzo's 'Tempo' Featuring Missy Elliott: Listen | Billboard ›
- Tempo (feat. Missy Elliott) by Lizzo | Lizzo (Official) | Free Listening ... ›
- |L I Z Z O| on Twitter: "Lizzo x @MissyElliott presents..... #TEMPO ... ›
- Lizzo "Tempo" Dance Video | POPSUGAR Celebrity ›
- Tempo (feat. Missy Elliott) by Lizzo on Spotify ›
- Lizzo – Tempo Lyrics | Genius Lyrics ›
- “Tempo” [ft. Missy Elliott] by Lizzo Review | Pitchfork ›
- Lizzo - Tempo (feat. Missy Elliott) | Hamilton Evans Choreography ... ›
- Lizzo And Missy Elliott Trade Off On The Scorching-Hot 'Tempo' : NPR ›
- Lizzo - Tempo (feat. Missy Elliott) [Official Audio] - YouTube ›