From Kanye West to Madonna, these gory and graphic clips got people talking — for better or for worse.
Music videos are a perfect opportunity to expand the story of a song.
The best music videos can showcase killer choreography, Halloween-ready attire, or movie levels of cinematic gold; others can spark controversies, no matter how well-intended. Whether centered around copious bloodshed or near-pornographic nudity (sorry, Mom and Dad), there's one thing all controversial music videos have in common: They get people talking.
Here are 13 music videos released over the past 30-plus years that have sparked disputes. Watch at your own risk.
Björk, "pagan poetry (uncensored)"
Released in 2001, this video scandalized MTV viewers around the world. Notorious for her innovative approach to art, Björk took things to a new level when she released this video, which is full of sexual footage and graphic images of the artist piercing her own skin with needles and pearls. Now, it's small potatoes thanks to the prevalence of graphic content online, but back then the video was banned on MTV in the US.
- The most controversial music videos of all time | Dazed ›
- The 10 most controversial music videos - Telegraph ›
- 10 Most Controversial Music Videos Ever ›
- The 17 Most Controversial Music Videos Of All Time ›
- These Are the Most Controversial Music Videos of All Time ›
- Childish Gambino and five other controversial music videos - BBC ... ›
- 20 Of The Most Controversial Music Videos Ever | NME ›