Industry awards are all about industry politics.
I didn't watch the 2019 Emmy Awards.
It's not because I had more important things to do. I was home Sunday evening eating a cold pork bun and playing a mobile game while half-watching Great British Bake Off. If anything, watching the Emmys probably should have been my priority as an entertainment writer. But here's the thing: I just don't care anymore.
Hollywood award shows are meaningless. When you see a TV show tout their "Emmy Award-winning" status, all that really says is that they pulled off the best promotional campaign. The real secret is that industry awards are all about industry politics, and if the winner also happens to be great, well that's incidental. Case in point: Game of Thrones won the coveted "Best Drama" Emmy for what might have been the most bungled final season of any major television show in history.
If the worst season of Game of Thrones can win the Emmy for "Best Drama," that means one of two things.
The first would be that Game of Thrones season 8 was genuinely the best season of any drama series, in which case, what a sad day for television. But I don't think that's true. The most recent seasons of both Better Call Saul and Killing Eve received far better critical and fan reception than Game of Thrones.
The second possibility is that HBO spent a massive amount of money on promoting their Emmy campaign because, oh, I don't know, maybe they have a financial interest in counteracting the overwhelmingly negative reception to the show's final season. The funniest Emmy-related article I read this morning was this one, about how people who hadn't finished Game of Thrones yet were mad that the Emmys spoiled the Night King's death. These poor people don't realize that the real spoiler is David Benioff and D.B. Weiss's writing abilities. But don't worry, they still got awarded for their terrible job.
Game Of Thrones Wins Best Drama Series | EMMYS LIVE! 2019 www.youtube.com
To be clear, plenty of Emmy Award winners are overwhelmingly talented and deserving. Fleabag swept the comedy categories this year and absolute earned every trophy it won. But for an industry award show to matter to me, at least in my capacity as a viewer, I want to feel like a show's quality isn't incidental to its victory, and for that to be the case, winners would need to display a certain level of quality across the board. Unfortunately, Hollywood, like any other industry, is all about money, which means art often takes a backseat to profit. So next time you plan to watch an "Emmy Award-winning" show, please understand that the bar is practically on the floor.
- Game of Thrones ›
- Our Picks for the 2019 "Fleabag" Awards (I Mean Emmy Awards ... ›
- Lily Allen Made Her Brother, Alfie, Get a Job: His Emmy-Nominated ... ›
- Game of Thrones - Awards - IMDb ›
- Emmys 2019: Why Game of Thrones Failed to Break One Last ... ›
- 2019 Emmy Awards: 'Game of Thrones' and 'Fleabag' Win Big, One ... ›
- 'Game of Thrones' ends run with best drama award, 59 total Emmy ... ›
- Emmys 2019: The 'Game of Thrones' Muted Victory Lap - The Atlantic ›
- Emmys Recap: 'Game Of Thrones,' 'Fleabag' And Billy Porter Have ... ›
- 'Fleabag' and 'Game of Thrones' claim top Emmy prizes on night of ... ›
- Here Are All The Emmys 'Game Of Thrones' Won (But Mostly Lost) ›
- Game Of Thrones | Television Academy ›
- List of awards and nominations received by Game of Thrones ... ›
About a year after being accused of selling furniture to ICE detention centers, e-commerce site Wayfair is in another controversy.
Wayfair, the e-commerce website beloved by millennials on a budget who don't want their apartments to look just like IKEA showrooms, is no stranger to controversy.
Last summer, employees of the company organized a protest after allegations surfaced that Wayfair had sold $200,000 worth of furniture to border detention facilities. Now, Wayfair is being suspected of trafficking missing children in their furniture.
A vibrant summer earworm.
Dance-pop duo Krewella, the Pakistani-American sisters, hooks up with Yellow Claw on "Rewind."
Krewella & Yellow Claw - Rewind (Official Music Video) youtu.be
- Krewella + Whipped Cream – Tickets – Echostage – Washington ... ›
- Krewella on Spotify ›
- Krewella's stream on SoundCloud - Hear the world's sounds ›
- Krewella (@Krewella) | Twitter ›
- Krewella - Home | Facebook ›
- Krewella (@krewella) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Krewella - Alive (Official Video) - YouTube ›
- Krewella - Wikipedia ›
- Krewella ›