Leave Your Man at Home: A Galentine's Day Playlist
From Diana Ross to Beyoncé, here arethe songs you need to celebrate.
Galentine's Day might've started as a bit in the Parks and Recreation universe, but Leslie Knope's holiday for celebrating her favorite women has since become an occasion for many ladies in real life.
Intended for celebration on February 13, Galentine's Day is best spent sharing the love with your closest gal pals—we recommend a potluck complete with wine and copious amounts of dessert—before sharing the following day with your sweetheart. If you're single this season, Galentine's Day and the following weekend also mark the perfect occasion to hit the town with your fellow bachelorettes, soaking in each other's companionship instead of wallowing over a lack of romance.
No matter how you're spending Galentine's Day, you need a playlist. We've compiled plenty of empowering hits—from classics and modern pop stars alike—to get your day (or night) started on the right foot.
Cyndi Lauper, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”
There's a reason this song has stood the test of time for nearly forty years. The best part of it is that it never suggests women need to be in devoted relationships to feel content. In fact, Lauper detests the notion of finding your worth in a romance: "Some boys take a beautiful girl / And hide her away from the rest of the world / I want to be the one to walk in the sun."
Follow the playlist on Spotify!
- Rookie » Friday Playlist: Happy Galentine's Day ›
- ONTD Original: Galentine's Day Playlist: ohnotheydidnt — LiveJournal ›
- 5 Tiny Desk Concerts For Galentine's Day : NPR ›
- Lin-Manuel Miranda's Galentine's Day Playlist is ! ›
- 14 Badass Female Anthems To Add To Your Galentine's Day Playlist ›
- The Ultimate Galentine's Day Playlist ›
- Happy Galentine's Day 2017 on Spotify ›
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Shares Galentine's Day Playlist | Billboard ›
- 40 Best Valentine's Day Songs - Best Girl Anthems for Galentine's Day ›