For better and worse.
We're bombarded with photographs of celebrities on a daily basis from all corners of media.
The more fascinating snapshots are of celebrities enjoying themselves, being human outside of the ability to walk to and from their cars. The intersection of the sports and entertainment industries is the apex of celebrity culture: they're two of America's greatest exports. As such, NBA games are the go-to place for celebrities to see and be seen. They sit courtside and often interact with the States' greatest players. It's a celebrated celebrity crossover. From viral moments to costing championships, the appeal of this kind of content reminds us how much we love seeing our celebs being truly human, in a way that can't be masked on the carpet or scripted in interviews.
James Devaney/GC Images
Many forget Spike Lee is the NBA's GOAT nuisance. The 1994 Eastern Conference Finals became a historic, frustrating moment for NBA stars. In Game 5, Lee's sideline antics had Reggie Miller dropping 25 points in a quarter, almost costing the Knicks their place in the finals. In Game 6, Chicago Bulls' Scottie Pippen was fed up with the director's commentary. After dunking on Ewing, Pippen walked straight up to Lee and directed him to sit down. The power move birthed an inadvertent player vs. fan feud.
✅ The poster dunk ✅ The step-over ✅ The smack talk 25 years ago, Scottie Pippen served up some disrespect to Patri… https://t.co/dT0AxDgW40— ESPN (@ESPN)1558357240.0
Spike Lee's basketball interference didn't end there. The long-time fan called out the Heat back in 2012, claiming on behalf of The Knicks, "We're gonna kick LeBron's ass." Lee may have trolled and attempted to bait the star from the sidelines but didn't manage to faze him. Really, Spike Lee walked so Drake could run.
Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press
Speaking of Drake, Rihanna has also become a notable presence in arenas across the country. She may not have an allegiance to a particular team, but she's definitely LeBron's A-List groupie. Wherever he goes, she's there.
Rihanna: "The King is still King, b----!" via @rachelnmarcus https://t.co/woA5DDP87y— Arash Markazi (@Arash Markazi)1496381531.0
Also, who can forget the phenomenal moment Ethan Hawke made his son switch seats with him to mack on the singer. He really was all of us.
remember when Ethan Hawke made his son switch seats just so he could talk to Rihanna https://t.co/tnghMAZgK6— c (@c)1556215304.0
Beyoncé and Jay-Z
Anytime Beyoncé shows up, someone is going to write about it. Whether it's LeBron getting a little too close to Beyoncé for Jay's comfort or Nicole Curran (wife of Warrior's owner, Jacob Lacob) talking across Beyoncé, it's always entertaining to watch.
Jay-Z and Beyoncé are courtside for Game 3 😎 https://t.co/6mmJuN8Odn— ESPN (@ESPN)1559786652.0
USA Today Sports
Across the sports spectrum, Sophie Turner has taken over the sideline, chugging wine and juuling up a storm. Her fun-loving, no-fucks-given personality is everything we could want and we hope to get more of it soon.
AFP Photo/Vaughn Ridley
Oh, the reason we're all here. Think-pieces aside, the "appointed" Toronto Raptors' Global Ambassador was a great marketing strategy. Unfortunately, the Spike Lee impersonation isn't as genuine or inviting as the original. The rapper covered up several of his Warriors' tattoos in favor of Canada pride, rubbing everyone the wrong way. His enthusiasm is so notable, Barack Obama asked NBA commissioner, Adam Silver if Drake was behaving himself.
Chrissy Teigen and John Legend
Danny Moloshok / Associated Press
Everyone loves when a celebrity get dunked on, but we love it even more when they embrace it. Teigen did just that when Dwayne Wade crashed into the pair, causing their drinks to splatter.
😂 a renaissance painting https://t.co/ZKlD1Ch2gJ— christine teigen (@christine teigen)1554865025.0
- Where's Lebron Heading Next? He is not staying in Cleveland ... ›
- Drake Makes Despicable Choice for Best NBA Team Ever - Popdust ›
- `Basketball Body Art Blunders! The Most Disgusting Tattoos in NBA ... ›
- NBA.com Canada | The official site of the NBA ›
- NBA Basketball - News, Scores, Stats, Standings, and Rumors ... ›
- NBA - National Basketball Association Teams, Scores, Stats, News ... ›
- NBA Gear at Store.NBA.com - The Official NBA Store. One Store ... ›
- NBA (@NBA) | Twitter ›
- NBA | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Rumors, Scores and Highlights ›
- Beyonce Gives Epic Side-Eye to Wife of Warriors Owner | TMZ.com ›
- Beyoncé rocks a courtside catsuit at NBA playoffs ›
- Warriors Troll Drake with Pusha T Music During Game 3 | PEOPLE ... ›
- Bill Burr's take on Raptors "Superfan" Drake. : nba ›
- Drake Trolls Back At Klay Thompson And Losing Warriors In NBA ... ›
- Obama, Drake, Trump & NBA Finals - YouTube ›
"Better late than never" may not apply in this case...
On Saturday, in a strange celebration of Independence Day, rapper, producer, and sneaker mogul Kanye West announced his intention to run for president in 2020.
As in, this year. Right now.
Of course, this news comes well past the filing deadline for independent candidates in several major states—which means that unless a political party randomly decides to nominate him, Kanye's name won't appear on those ballots. As deadlines in other states approach—with little apparent effort to gather the petition signatures required—Kanye is officially joining the long, proud history of vanity presidential campaigns. Unfortunately, that's a lot more dangerous than it sounds.
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am runni… https://t.co/MySzN3vjIB— ye (@ye)1593909493.0
- Kanye West Gives Rambling Monologue to Trump in Oval Office ... ›
- Were Kanye West's MAGA Hats Just a Hoax to Manipulate Trump ... ›
If you cling to outdated ideas, you are choosing to be left behind.
A relative recently reached out to express concern that I was sharing ageist sentiments on the Internet.
She didn't have to specify which content had bothered her. I knew she was talking about my attacks on "boomers."
- Fox Media's "Okay Boomer" Trademark is Peak Boomer Energy ... ›
- A Guide For Talking to Boomers - Popdust ›
- OK, boomer. The kids are fighting back. - The Washington Post ›
- 'OK boomer' is dividing generations. What does it mean? ›
- OK, Boomer: This Is How To Respond To Gen Z's New Meme ›
- 'OK, Boomer' Vs. 'OK, Millennial': Workplace Nightmare, Or Just A ... ›
- "OK, boomer": 25-year-old lawmaker shuts down heckler during ... ›
- What does “OK boomer” mean? The meme, explained - Vox ›
- 'OK Boomer' Marks the End of Friendly Generational Relations - The ... ›