Back in my day, we just sang about doin' it.
When it comes to music, it's as if I have a boomer's soul.
Despite falling neatly in the middle of the millennial generation, I was raised on Johnny Cash, Bobby Darin, and the Everly Brothers–which is to say, I understand nothing. Why is Billie EIlish so sad? What does Lizzo dream about? Who said Ed Sheeran was allowed to have a career? What's "DaBaby?" And then there's Harry Styles. Oh, Harry Styles: a beacon of (maybe) bisexual boy band energy and tutu-wearing masculinity. I can dig it. But then he released "Watermelon Sugar." Rolling Stone greeted its arrival by saying "Harry Styles Yearns for Taste of 'Watermelon Sugar.'" They wrote that the "track has the singer nostalgic for 'that summer feeling,' yearning for berries and the taste of watermelon sugar." Aw, so wholesome, so sweet.
And then Buzzfeed ruined it–ruined me, temporarily. Curating Twitter's best Harry Styles decoders, they revealed the truth: "Watermelon Sugar" is about oral sex. What is "watermelon sugar," exactly, in this context? According to Urban Dictionary, it's a "term used for male prec-m while giving oral sex."
Can it be true? Let's look at the second verse and the bridge: "Strawberries on a summer evenin' / Baby, you're the end of June / I want your belly and that summer feelin' / Getting washed away in you."
I...want...your...belly? Then the pre-chorus and chorus go: "Breathe me in / Breathe me out / I don't know if I could ever go without…Watermelon sugar high / watermelon sugar high / WATERMELON SUGAR HIGH" and oh-my-god, this song is absolutely about oral sex!
In fact, you know what? I'm into it. Good, go ahead, Harry Styles, you aspiring millennial Beatle. After all, the fab four poured their hearts out about feeling "your finger on my trigger" in "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," a "fish and finger pie in summer" in "Penny Lane," and, frankly, a ton of lyrics also about oral sex (what did you think "Why Don't We Do It In the Road" was about?").
Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar (Official Video) www.youtube.com
And you know what other songs win innuendo bingo? A lot of modern pop hits you wouldn't expect from their bopping, innocent melodies. I feel deceived. Actually, I feel old. In my day, if you wanted to sing about sex, you would just do as Paul McCartney did in "Hi, Hi, Hi" and belt out, "Yes, I go like a rabbit, gonna grab it / Gonna do it 'til the night is done."
Ariana Grande - "Side to Side"
Ariana Grande looks like a trendy eighth grader I'd be too afraid to pass on the sidewalk after school, but apparently "Side to Side" is about having so much sex that you can't walk properly. "That whole song is about riding leading to soreness," she confirmed at the MTV VMAs. "'Ride d*ck bicycle' is the lyric, indeed." Kids grow up so fast these days.
- Harry Styles Releases "Watermelon Sugar" Video - Popdust ›
- The Sexiest Songs of 2020 (So Far...) - Popdust ›
- All The Best Summer Songs From The Last Decade - Popdust ›
- These Are The Most Sexual Food Song Lyrics Of All Time -- Sexual ... ›
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend songs bring the sexual innuendo in “To Josh ... ›
- 'Til the juice runs down my leg: 23 songs that use fruit for sexual ... ›
- Episode 038 - Songs That Are Sexual Innuendos - YouTube ›
- The 40 Most Sexual Hits in Top 40 History | Complex ›
- 25 Surprisingly Dirty Songs That Rank Among Rock And Roll's ... ›
- 69 Songs You Never Realised Were Actually About Sex ›
- Songs About Sex Dirty Lyrics Hidden Sexual Innuendos ›
- 10 songs you didn't know were about sex the first time you heard it ›
- These Are the 13 Most Explicit Sexual Innuendos in Music History ›
- 52 Sex Songs to Add to Your Bedroom Playlist - Best Sexy Songs ›
- The 50 Sexiest Songs Of All Time | Billboard ›
- 40 Best Songs to Have Sex To - Sexiest Songs ›
- 17 Super Sexual Songs That Will Make You Drop Your Panties ... ›
Now that Banksy's "Flower Thrower" trademark has been revoked, anyone can profit off his work.
This week anonymous street artist Banksy officially lost the European trademark to his "Flower Thrower" mural.
The guerrilla graffiti artist had engaged in a prolonged legal battle with the small greeting card company Full Colour Black—which was selling products featuring the image of a Palestinian man throwing a bouquet of flowers. But now a panel at the European Union Intellectual Property Office has announced their decision to revoke the artist's trademark on the grounds that he could not definitively prove himself to be the mural's creator.
With social media giants like Facebook and Instagram woven into our daily lives, does a boycott have real weight?
Kim Kardashian has nearly 190 million followers on Instagram, where she's in the habit of posting at least once a day.
If her followers were a nation, they would be the 8th most populous on the planet. But the citizens of Kardashia (Kimeroon? The United Kimdom?) will not be receiving any diplomatic news or thirst traps from their dear leader on Wednesday.
As she announced on Instagram on Tuesday, she is taking part in the one-day boycott of Instagram and Facebook organized by Stop Hate for Profit and promoted by other celebrities, from Katy Perry to Leonardo DiCaprio.