Now in Theaters: 5 New Movies for the Weekend of June 14
Who asked for a Men in Black reboot? Why would anybody want that?
Welcome back to "Now in Theaters: 5 New Movies for the Weekend."
This week, someone rebooted Men in Black for some reason.
Men in Black: International
The first Men in Black was just okay. It benefits from nostalgia goggles, but so do the Burger King tie-in toys it spawned, and nobody's going to argue that those were high-quality. There wasn't really any fan demand for a reboot of this franchise (are there even Men in Black fans?), and there probably wasn't any reason behind the decision besides "reboot everything." The point is, Men in Black: International doesn't seem like a story anyone genuinely wanted to tell, and the trailer reflects that. It looks painfully generic.
SHAFT – Official Trailer [HD]www.youtube.com
Like everything else in 2019, the new Shaft arrives with a wink and a nod. Five films deep, the Shaft franchise has shifted from blaxploitation crime action to action comedy. The premise is really cool, centering around a new Shaft (Jessie Usher) teaming him up with the original two (Samuel L. Jackson and Richard Roundtree). The trailer seems fun, so hopefully the Shaft franchise can adapt to this new tone while still maintaining the serious themes that made it so culturally prescient in the first place.
PLUS ONE Official Trailerwww.youtube.com
Plus One is a rom-com about two friends who make a pact to be each other's plus ones at the many, many weddings they need to attend. It stars the incredibly talented Maya Erskine (PEN15) and was written and directed by Jeff Chan and Andrew Rhymer, both writers for PEN15. The plot may sound a bit contrived, but that's part of the fun of rom-coms. The trailer looks funny and, again, Maya Erskine is fantastic. As such, Plus One is my PICK OF THE WEEK.
The Dead Don't Die
THE DEAD DON'T DIE - Official Trailer [HD] - In Theaters June 14www.youtube.com
The Dead Don't Die is a horror movie with a cast. We know this because "CHECK OUT THIS CAST" has been their primary marketing point. I tend to distrust movies that market like this. If a movie needs to rely on the size and renown of its cast, it usually doesn't have a narrative that holds up on its own. Granted, the cast here really is great. Bill Murray, Adam Driver, and Tilda Swinton are phenomenal. But chances are that the movie itself is just okay, at best.
HAMPSTEAD Official Trailer (2019) Diane Keaton Romantic Movie HDwww.youtube.com
Brendan Gleeson absolutely kills every role he's ever been given. I love, love, love him. Old people movies though? Eh. Queen of old people movies, Diane Keaton (Book Club, Poms, etc.) plays a widow who falls in love with a kooky squatter and, as a result, discovers the spice of life or something. Brendan Gleeson is, of course, the squatter who just wants to be left alone in a shack that the government is trying to take away. But he's about to find out that sometimes, the only thing better than a shack is shacking up with an old person. Nice.
- 10 Dos and Don'ts to Surviving Reboots in 2019 - Popdust ›
- “MIB: International” Trailer Recycles Old Formula with Young Agents ... ›
- Marvel's Black Widow Trailer Is Designed To Sell Funko Pops - Popdust ›
- I'm So Mad (Insert Movie from Childhood) Is Getting a Reboot - Popdust ›
- Mindy Kaling Comedy 'Late Night' Now Opening Wide On June 14 ... ›
- Middleditch & Schwartz | The Pabst Theater | Jun 14 ›
- Filmed in Brockton, 'American Woman' hitting theaters June 14 ... ›
- Samuel L. Jackson - SHAFT - Trailer (In Theaters on 6/14/19 ... ›
- David Gray | The Riverside Theater | Jun 14 ›
- SHAFT - Give :30 - In theaters June 14 - YouTube ›
- June 2019 Has So Many Great Movies Coming To Theaters It's ... ›
- THE DEAD DON'T DIE - Official Trailer [HD] - In Theaters June 14 ... ›
- June 2019 Movie Releases | Moviefone ›
- Best Movies in Theaters in June 2019 – Top Movie Releases This ... ›