13 of the Most Controversial Music Videos Ever
From Kanye West to Madonna, these gory and graphic clips got people talking — for better or for worse.
Music videos are a perfect opportunity to expand the story of a song.
The best music videos can showcase killer choreography, Halloween-ready attire, or movie levels of cinematic gold; others can spark controversies, no matter how well-intended. Whether centered around copious bloodshed or near-pornographic nudity (sorry, Mom and Dad), there's one thing all controversial music videos have in common: They get people talking.
Here are 13 music videos released over the past 30-plus years that have sparked disputes. Watch at your own risk.
Robin Thicke, “Blurred Lines”
The lyrics of Robin Thicke's hit "Blurred Lines" spurred plenty of disputes about the mistreatment of women, and the sexed-up video just added fuel to the fire. A suited Thicke and Pharrell Williams are seen hanging out around scantily clad women; Emily Ratajkowski is prominently featured, often topless. A few years after the video's release, Ratajkowski called "Blurred Lines" "the bane of [her] existence."
- The most controversial music videos of all time | Dazed ›
- The 10 most controversial music videos - Telegraph ›
- 10 Most Controversial Music Videos Ever ›
- The 17 Most Controversial Music Videos Of All Time ›
- These Are the Most Controversial Music Videos of All Time ›
- Childish Gambino and five other controversial music videos - BBC ... ›
- 20 Of The Most Controversial Music Videos Ever | NME ›