From Kanye West to Madonna, these gory and graphic clips got people talking—for better or for worse.
Music videos are a perfect opportunity to expand the story of a song.
The best music videos can showcase killer choreography, Halloween-ready attire, or movie levels of cinematic gold; others can spark controversies, no matter how well-intended. Whether centered around copious bloodshed or near-pornographic nudity (sorry, Mom and Dad), there's one thing all controversial music videos have in common: They get people talking.
Here are nine music videos released over the past 30-plus years that have sparked disputes. Watch at your own risk.
M.I.A., “Born Free”
M.I.A. has spent her entire career being outspoken on issues of war and violence. But the cinematic video for "Born Free" flipped the typical script, depicting SWAT team members wrangling up all redheaded people and brutally killing them in a genocide. It's violent enough to make Tarantino's jaw drop, but it also shows the power of controversial material done right.
- The most controversial music videos of all time | Dazed ›
- The 10 most controversial music videos - Telegraph ›
- 10 Most Controversial Music Videos Ever ›
- The 17 Most Controversial Music Videos Of All Time ›
- These Are the Most Controversial Music Videos of All Time ›
- Childish Gambino and five other controversial music videos - BBC ... ›
- 20 Of The Most Controversial Music Videos Ever | NME ›