These great live-action Disney movies could be just over the horizon.
Disney's all about two things right now: live-action remakes and sequels—or, whenever possible, doing both at the same time.
But eventually, Disney's going to run out of beloved, animated classics to drag into the real world. Luckily for them, we've composed a list of some of our best live-action Disney movie ideas, which they're welcome to mine when the ol' well of hackery runs dry. All we ask for in return is a mere footnote in the credits. So while you recover from the live-action Lion King and wait for the live-action The Little Mermaid, keep in mind that these great Disney movies could be just over the horizon:
Live-action Frozen isn't a matter of "if" so much as "when." It's happening, and when it does, you can bet your bottom dollar that the casting choices are going to be controversial. After all, who could Disney possibly cast as Olaf? Josh Gad would be far too big for the Olaf costume, so he's not an option. They could probably get Peter Dinklage to do it, but he most likely wouldn't want to denigrate his career like that. Maybe they could size Olaf up a lot and cast John Cena, but at what point would he go from "goofy mascot" to "snow golem that must be destroyed?"
- It's Not about Race: Colorism in Hollywood - Popdust ›
- Disney Doesn't Care About Your Childhood: “The Lion King” Is Just ... ›
- Disney Stays True to Intensely Adorable Animals in "The Lion King ... ›
- We're Already Sick of Disney's Live-action Remakes - Popdust ›
- A complete list of all the upcoming Disney live-action remakes ... ›
- Disney Live-Action Movies in the Works: Lilo & Stitch, Aladdin and ... ›
- 17 Disney Classics Getting Live-Action Remakes ›
- All Upcoming Disney Movies: New Disney Live-Action, Animation ... ›
- Every Disney live-action remake in the works - INSIDER ›
- Upcoming Disney Live-Action Movies: All 15 Remakes In ... ›
- the Upcoming Disney Live-Action Remakes ›
- List of Disney live-action remakes of animated films - Wikipedia ›
- Here Are All of Disney's Upcoming Live-Action Movies ›
- Upcoming Live-Action Disney Movies: From Mulan to Little Mermaid ... ›
The hit musical will drop on Disney+ July 3rd.
Lin Manuel-Miranda's Hamilton has taken the theater world by storm since its 2015 Broadway premiere.
A hip-hop musical about America's founding fathers doesn't sound immediately appealing, but Manuel-Miranda's brilliant song writing and diverse casting not only captured the attention of audiences, but proved that major change is possible within an art form as encumbered by traditions as musical theater.
Using a Black dialect isn't a meme—it's cultural appropriation.
As Black Lives Matter protests have rightfully taken the world by storm over the past couple of months, we're long overdue for thorough evaluations of just how often aspects of Black heritage have been co-opted by white audiences.
It should be obvious that much of fashion and music as we know it today was invented by Black people. We (hopefully) all know by now that we can no longer accept Blackface and use of the n-word by non-Black people as the norm—and Internet users have tried "canceling" offenders in the public eye, with varying degrees of success.