Miles Kane of The Last Shadow Puppets discusses his new solo album, Coup De Grace
"Being on stage is my favorite thing ever. [It's] where I come alive."
When he's not playing in The Last Shadow Puppets with Alex Turner, Miles Kane pursues his own truth, blending rock and roll nostalgia with the coiled, fuzzed-out severity of today's lo-fi garage rock movement. With the release of his third solo album, he's exploring new sounds but focusing on the same thing; namely, producing good music and cutting out the fluff. Coup De Grace makes a rare double move, in that it deviates from Kane's prior work but is still uniquely his. We were lucky enough to catch him before he embarks on a European tour and talked with him about his new musical direction, his influences, and his creative process during this Popdust exclusive interview.
How did you become interested in music?
I started listening to the Beatles at a very young age. My mother would always have music playing, lots of Motown and feel good music including Sinatra and Dean Martin.
You're originally from Liverpool. What do you think about the music scene in the U.K.?
I think it's great. There are lots of young, exciting bands. It's just frustrating that they don't get a look on a mainstream level, as there's so much nonsense pop that's consumed the listeners' brain[s].
I've heard you're quite funny, but do you think an English sense of humor translates as well on this side of the pond?
Well thanks! (the crowd goes wild) haha!
I do love a good comedy. I love Peter Sellers, the way about him and when he acts in a comedy is the best, you should watch if you haven't seen! I love a comedian that can just give you a look and it will crack you up! I'm a sucker for Naked Gun as well.
Your most recent album, Coup De Grace, was released in August. What was the writing and recording process for that like?
It was such a great record to make. I really dug deep into my soul and made some of the best tracks I think I've ever done. Jamie T and I had a great time writing together. When we got into a groove, we were unstoppable.
Have you any favorite tracks off of the project?
It's really hard it as changes all the time. The one the sticks out though I would say is "Wrong Side Of Life" as it has the best vocals I've ever done and combined with the soul vibe, it's a winner!
The most recent single is "Cry On My Guitar". Why is that song special?
Ultimate rock n' roll pop song with neon blue eyeliner all the way around it! I love this song and love that its becoming a monster! The lyrics really hit home.
Can you tell us a little bit about the process for making the music video for that single?
I'm a huge fan of the WWE and became friends with Finn Bálor, so we wanted to combine our two worlds of rock n roll and wrestling. In my opinion, it's the best combo ever! So that's what we did. The director Brook Linder made it super cool, as if it [were] out of a Bond film.
You'll be heading out on tour soon. What are you looking forward to about that?
Being on stage is my favorite thing ever and where I come alive. It's just something I have to do. My tour starts in Europe this October then [I got to] the UK for November and December. I'm itching to play some shows in the US, which will hopefully happen soon.
What else is coming up next for you?
Touring! Enjoying Coup De Grace! Being the best front man out there! Being the best me I can be! And.....maybe neon eyeliner.
Have a female or femme-identifying artist we should profile? Send a pitch email to Rachel
POP⚡DUST | Read #WomanCrushWednesday...
- INTERVIEW: A conversation with rising dream pop diva GERMANS ›
- Interview: AirLands on life, creation and "So Much To Keep" - Popdust ›
- Popdust Presents | DERRICK MILANO: Plays No Games - Popdust ›
- INTERVIEW | Big Boi Talks On Repping The Atlanta Music Scene ›
- The New Bachelor Has Been Cast - Colton Underwood. ›
- "Birdman" as the great American tragedy ›
- Interview | Miles Kane ›
- Coup De Grace by Miles Kane: Amazon.co.uk: Music ›
- Miles Kane – Coup De Grace | Album Reviews | musicOMH ›
- Miles Kane: Coup de Grace review – tepid glam pop breakup tunes ... ›
- Miles Kane - Coup De Grace - YouTube ›
- Coup de Grace (Miles Kane album) - Wikipedia ›
- Miles Kane announces new solo album, Coup De Grace, shares ›
- Coup de Grace by Miles Kane Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic ›
- Miles Kane – 'Coup De Grace' review - NME ›
- Miles Kane: Coup de Grace review – genre overload | Music | The ... ›
- Miles Kane: Coup de Grace Album Review | Pitchfork ›