Be proud of your fuzzy nips.
I have to get something off my chest, and no, it's not my luscious, curly chest hair.
As The Mary Sue point out in this enlightening article, Marvel apparently decides to shave almost all of their male superheroes' chests. As a dude sporting a pretty shaggy torso mat myself, I can't mince words here: Marvel's behavior is abhorrent, and I won't stand for it.
Everyone who's not a chud understands that body positivity––or at the very least, body acceptance––is, well, positive. In general, our media landscape has followed suit, if perhaps a little slowly. The cinematic landscape is far more diverse today than ever before, and a lot of that diversity centers around rejecting a uniform aesthetic of what is or is not attractive. And yet, as The Mary Sue illustrated, Marvel seems hellbent on telling hairy men that their chest hair is unwanted.
But here's where things get even worse for us forest-breasted lads: It's not just Marvel sending this message of hate.
Take Jason Momoa, for instance. Here's a man with some nice chest hair. Just look at his chest hair as Khal Drogo. That's the kind of chest hair one would expect from a barbarian warlord.
Now look at him in DC's Aquaman.
Undoubtedly, DC made a conscious decision to shave Jason Momoa's chest hair. But why? Is it because swimmers often shave their body hair in order to glide more easily through the water?
Okay, fine. Well, then explain this. Here's Joaquin Phoenix, a handsome man with some nice chest pubix, in You Were Never Really Here.
Now, here's Joaquin Phoenix shirtless in Joker. Can you tell what's missing?
Yeah, that's right, no chest hair. Don't even try to tell me that Arthur Fleck just randomly decided to shave his chest during a mental episode, because I don't buy that for a second. The chest shaving of The Joker is an intentional effort by DC to show us that the ideal male body does not have an ounce of pec hair.
But I don't think Marvel, DC, and whatever other hairless superpowered smut purveyors are in it alone. No, I think the rabbit hole goes deeper.
Considering the fact that we live in a capitalist hellscape, what if (and this is just a theory) superhero movies were marketing all their male heroes as bare-chested in an attempt to sell razors? What if the true mastermind behind all these no-chest hair superheroes was Gillette?
Okay, I know that's crazy. It's not like there's…
Oh boy. This is it. Not only has Gillette collaborated with both Marvel and DC on superhero-themed razors, but they also started #TheBestASuperHeroCanGet campaign in what can only be summed up as a hate crime against voluminously stranded men.
@justiceleaguewb Which one of our @justiceleaguewb razors would you choose to join your shaving team?… https://t.co/y6mGNNxVGb— Gillette (@Gillette) 1509381017.0
If we men take any pride in the strands around our nips, we cannot let this stand. No longer will we let Gillette and their cabal of superhero capitalists tell us that the only male beauty is the hairless kind. We must rise up and throw our razors in the trash. We must pinch our bountiful locks in our fingers and shout, "I'm a hairy man, and that makes me beautiful." Then, at last, we must throw our superhero Blu-rays in the trash. #HairyANDSuper
- Opinion | More male representation needed in body positivity ... ›
- Positive Body Image in Men | Psychology Today ›
- The importance of male body positivity - The Miami Student ›
- Do Men Have a Place in the Body Positivity Movement? | InStyle.com ›
- Meet the Champions of Body-Positivity for Men - VICE ›
- 19 Men On What Body Positivity Means To Them | HuffPost Life ›
- In Search of Male Body Positivity – INDIE Magazine ›
- From Hair to Height: How Male Body Image Struggles Go Beyond ... ›
- Where is all the body-positivity support for men? | Revelist ›
- The Guys Making Body Positivity Mainstream for Men ›
- Captain Marvel: why Brie Larson's suit isn't sexy - Vox ›
- All marvel at the glory of the chest hair. | Dragon age | Dragon age ... ›
- The Men of Marvel, Shirtless and Ranked by Hotness | E! News ›
- Bruce has Glorious Chest Hair - Carerra_os - Marvel Avengers ... ›
- David Hasselhoff Sings, Shows Off Chest Hair in 'Guardians of the ... ›
- 7 Shirtless Celebs Who Aren't Afraid To Have Chest Hair (Unlike ... ›
- Can You Tell Which Marvel Actor This Is From His Unwaxed Chest? ›
- How Do Superheroes Shave Their Chests? We Asked A Body ... ›
- For the love of God, Marvel, stop making your lead actors wax their ... ›
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe v Chest Hair: Dawn of Men | The ... ›