Emmy award winner Lena Waithe's new show about the lives of black citizens of Southern Chicago is something so special.
Most Americans have consumed some form of TV - and those that haven't are surrounded by the remnants of it. They see ads for TV shows, listen to people talking about those shows - TV has managed to become a facet of the modern human experience. So, it begs the question: Why are we only seeing the same stories being told over and over again?
Don't get me wrong, we've seen a bit of a TV renaissance in recent years. The age of reality TV has given way to a new era of scripted dramas, dramedies, and the like ranging from Breaking Bad to Supernatural to Game of Thrones. And as great as this new influx of creative energy is - it's also come with a slew of glaring issues. Issues that range from a lack of representation to the mistreatment of minorities that do get introduced.
[TS3I2L1516571859] The Cast of The Chi (Mathieu Young | SHOWTIME)
Through these characters, we are given a full spectrum of human emotion. We are shown immense grief and pain, we are shown pride and love, and we are even treated some well timed moments of humor to bring us back from the heartache. And it's done so with such precise balance - you never feel like it's ever too much. The only thing you do is wonder why? How could that happen?
Honestly, you have to watch this show. Especially if, like me, you haven't been exposed to these stories before. Plus, it's a damned good piece of TV.
Shann Smith is a freelance writer, screenwriter, playwright, gamer, and film/TV lover. When he's not working on his columns for Popdust, he's doing his best to create and consume as much media as he can!
POP⚡ DUST | Read More…
- The Chi (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb ›
- The Chi - Official Series Site | SHOWTIME ›
- The Chi - Wikipedia ›
- The Chi | Season 1 Official Trailer | Lena Waithe & Common ... ›
- 'The Chi' Showtime Review ›
- The Chi | Series Premiere | Full Episode (TV14) - YouTube ›
- The Chi Reviews - Metacritic ›
- 'The Chi' review: Showtime brews bracing Chicago drama - CNN ›
- Is Lena Waithe's “The Chi” Burdened by Its Politics? | The New Yorker ›
- The Chi: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes ›