The YouTube star so generously gave us free therapy.
It seems Internet personality Jake Paul has taken a foray into mental health advocacy.
The YouTuber—and brother of the slightly more infamous Logan—has a lot on his plate. From his promotion of fickle "mystery boxes" to his mystifying pseudo-marriage to Tana Mongeau and an unfortunate instance of leaked n-word usage, it's expected that Paul would experience some degree of anxiety. His coping mechanisms, you ask? Chilling his mind out, of course.
In a now-deleted tweet, Paul generously gave us peasants a free therapy session: "Remember anxiety is created by you," the unlicensed professional wrote. "Sometimes you gotta let life play out and remind yourself to be happy & that the answers will come. Chill your mind out. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend." Thank you, Jake, for curing my anxiety disorder.
As is the case with much of his behavior, Paul received a lot of well-deserved backlash for the tweet. This is a classic example of mistaking anxiety for just a nervous, antsy mood, ignorant to the severity of panic and anxiety disorders. Paul isn't alone in spreading these falsehoods, but it's especially dangerous considering his young, impressionable fanbase. Paul has never admitted to being diagnosed with anxiety disorders; regardless, he absolutely isn't qualified to be giving advice on how to deal with anxiety. It perpetuates the harmful narrative that people with diagnosed anxiety disorders are overreacting.
So in response, Paul clarified. "Everyone clowning my tweet but it's now spreading more awareness about anxiety which I didn't even know was a thing till I was 18 but had it my whole life & never knew how to deal with it," he added, linking to an article with tips to cope (that thankfully does mention diagnosed disorders).
everyone clowning my tweet but it’s now spreading more awareness about anxiety which i didn’t even know was a thing… https://t.co/0OppupVRdg— Jake Paul (@Jake Paul)1581997393.0
Surely Paul meant no harm, but his ignorance is aggravating and damaging. In the one-in-a-million chance that Paul himself reads this: I hope you learn the key differences between fleeting anxious moods and diagnosed mental illnesses. Or, just pay for my therapy and SSRIs, you coward.
- Jake Paul Cures Anxiety For Millions of People and Goes Viral ›
- Jake Paul defends anxiety comments as he's dragged online | Metro ... ›
- Jake Paul criticised after anxiety advice tweet - BBC News ›
- Jake Paul: YouTuber claims 'anxiety is created by you' in ... ›
- Jake Paul Tells Anxious People To “Chill Your Mind Out ... ›
- Jake Paul Thinks The Cure To Anxiety Is "Remind Yourself To Be ... ›
- Jake Paul defends tweet saying anxiety is 'created by you' ›
- Jake Paul is being called out for saying anxiety 'is created by you' ›
Happy birthday to the world's biggest genre
On this day in 1973, Clive Campbell, the Jamaican-American "selector" known as DJ Kool Herc, hosted a "back to school jam" at 1520 Sedgewick Avenue in the Boogie Down Bronx of New York City.
Armed with a booming sound system and reggae beats, Herc– a shortened nickname for "Hercules"– commanded insatiable audiences across the South Bronx with his unique looping technique called the "Merry-Go Round." "[I knew that] they were waiting for this particular break," Herc later said, "and I got a couple of records that got the same break up in it. I wonder how it would be if I put them all together."
- On This Day: Bob Marley and The Wailers Made the Greatest ... ›
- On This Day: "Killing Me Softly" Broke Up The Fugees - Popdust ›
- On This Day: Aretha Franklin's "Respect" Is More Important Than Ever ›
- On This Day, “Madvillainy” Changed Hip-Hop Forever - Popdust ›
Raymond's popularity sheds light on a bizarre underside of the Animal Crossing fandom.
Raymond is a smug cat who highlights his heterochromatic eyes with hipster glasses.
He is essentially the same exact character as every other Animal Crossing villager with a "Smug" personality type, but again, and this is very important, Raymond is a cat with heterochromatic eyes and hipster glasses. As such, he has completely broken the Animal Crossing community.
- Terraforming Changes How We Experience Animal Crossing ... ›
- People Are Going on Dates in the "Animal Crossing: New Horizons ... ›
- The Worst Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked - Popdust ›