Swift's best song isn't "All Too Well." Sorry Swifties and music critics.
Taylor Swift is a master lyricist who captured the imagination of anxious, boy-obsessed adolescent girls across the nation, and who became a global pop phenomenon.
Today, Swift has struggled to maintain the same accessibility to the hearts of girls and women across the nation, but her discography has had an undeniably heavy hand in our musical consciousness. Her vulnerability's resonated with many who felt misunderstood, lonely, and driven up the wall by the concept and feeling of "love."
Swift's looming presence endures because of her singular ability to tug at our heartstrings with the pick of her guitar. Every album is released in a different era with a different sound, but the singer's voice always shines through. These are her best songs from each album.
Taylor Swift (2006): "Picture to Burn"
Taylor Swift - Picture To Burn www.youtube.com
"Picture to Burn" is Swift at her grittiest and most immature. It revolts against an unrequited love interest in the pettiest of ways. While parts of the song haven't necessarily aged well, the country-rock style jumped out, making Swift's stage-presence undeniable.
Fearless (2008): "The Best Day"
Taylor Swift - The Best Day www.youtube.com
Fearless is known for its writhing teen melodrama. "The Best Day" is a criminally underrated, near-perfect ode to childhood and your parents. The song sounds effortless in its exploration and reflection of youth. So far, Swift has been unable to top the song's heart-felt, nostalgia-ridden music video.
Speak Now (2010): "Back to December"
Taylor Swift - Back To December www.youtube.com
"Dear John" may be one of the most iconic break-up songs, but "Back to December" evokes the undeniable guilt every lover has felt in a past relationship, where, really, nothing went wrong. The sweeping sonic production is as epic as it gets.
Red (2012): "State of Grace"
Taylor Swift - State of Grace Audio) www.youtube.com
I will be the first to say, "All Too Well" is not one of the best written songs of the decade. That is a knock to Swift's abilities, specifically because "All Too Well" does not capture her heart in the way many of the songs from Red are able to. "State of Grace" accomplishes all "Long Live" tried to achieve. "State of Grace" is a treacherous examination of a woman in a constant state of change, from adolescence to adulthood. It's magnetic and stunning.
1989 :(2014): "All You Had to Do Was Stay"
All You Had To Do Was Stay www.youtube.com
Swift's pivot to pop garnered her critical acclaim and commercial success like never before. Her singles were inescapable and her face was plastered everywhere. No one may immediately associate "All You Had to Do Was Stay" with Swift's best, but it never gets old. The track is always an entertaining musical thrill-ride, commenting on the highs and lows, and the desperation to make a relationship work. Also, Swift's voice has never sounded better.
Reputation (2017): "Getaway Car"
Taylor Swift NOW: The Making Of A Song (Getaway Car) www.youtube.com
Taylor Swift's discography is a collection of messy, complicated, and gut-wrenching songs, but "Getaway Car" may be one of the messiest songs Swift has ever written. Tugged between two men, escaping one relationship for another, "Getaway Car" is a knockout call to Bonnie Tyler's "Eclipse of the Heart." It's a must listen from her mixed-received album, Reputation.
Lover (2019): "It's Nice to Have a Friend"
Taylor Swift - It's Nice To Have A Friend (Official Audio) www.youtube.com
The haunting nature of "It's Nice To Have A Friend" complements it's sweet, simplistic subject beautifully. The song completes a narrative that only Swift can accomplish. Anytime Swift explores platonic relationships, sincerity always drips from her lips. On Lover, the track was a pleasant and gorgeous surprise.
- The Many Ex's Of Taylor Swift - Popdust ›
- All Our Burning Questions About Taylor Swift's "Lover" Lyrics and ... ›
- Taylor Swift "Red" Lyrics Breakdown: So Many Colors, So Many ... ›
- Eighty Ninety Featured on T-Swift's Playlist - Popdust ›
- Taylor Swift's "Begin Again" Lyrics Breakdown: Moving On with High ... ›
- How Taylor Swift got famous & why she is still a powerhouse - Popdust ›
- Taylor Swift Will Re-record Her Old Discography in 2020 - Popdust ›
- Taylor Swift Finally Has Something to Say - Popdust ›
- 90 Shades of Red—Every Taylor Swift Song Ranked, From Worst to ... ›
- The 100 Best Songs of 2012, From Taylor Swift to Twin Shadow ... ›
- When does "Red (Taylor's Version)" come out? - Popdust ›
- Top 10 Taylor Swift Songs - YouTube ›
- Best Taylor Swift Songs: 20 Essential Tracks For Swifties ›
- 33 Of The Best, Worst, And Most Underrated Taylor Swift Songs ... ›
- The Top 50 Taylor Swift Best Songs, Ranked from Worst to Best ›
- The End of an Era: Ranking Taylor Swift's 13 Best Songs Ever | E ... ›
- Best Taylor Swift Songs Playlist | POPSUGAR Entertainment ›
- The 15 Best Taylor Swift Songs (Updated 2017) | Billboard ›
- The 16 Best Taylor Swift Songs to Listen to - T.Swift Playlist ›
- Taylor Swift's Songs: All Ranked by Rob Sheffield – Rolling Stone ›
- Taylor Swift Songs, Ranked From Worst to Best ›